TTN gateway: progress report


After almost two weeks with the TTN LoRa gateway, here’s what I have done:

This article is more than two years old and might contain obsolete information; it is still kept here for informational purposes.
  • I have installed a small heatsink on the SX1301 IC. The temperature is now at 60-61C. Unfortunately, I have no means to cool down the MCP1727 LDO and the two inductors in the top-right corner of the LoRa card.
  • Putting some holes in the upper and lower walls of the gateway case helped a bit, but not much.
  • I have switched to an external Aurel GP868 antenna. The antenna comes with an F-type connector on the antenna side, and with BNC connector on the gateway side. I had to wait two more days to get one BNC female to male SMA adapter. Not funny.
  • With the new antenna, I’ve been able to gain some more 500m in coverage. Not so great.
  • I have configured the older LG-01 LoRa gateway to work with The Things Network. Legacy packet forwarder, single channel. The coverage is almost the same as with the official TTN gateway.
  • I will start soon to experiment with other locations for the antenna.
  • It turns out that upgrading the RN2483 LoRa modules on the nodes is a big pain in the well-you-know. Nobody cared about adding pads to connect a PICkit3 to update the firmware. Upgrading on serial interface sometimes works, sometimes not, and sometimes it bricks the module.


    • Teodor

      Hi Jeroen,

      Of course I have tried with the bootloader 🙂 I have successfully upgraded four of my RN2483 modules. But I also have two modules that failed during the upgrade, and now stay in my office, bricked. For those modules I miss the PPICkit3 connectivity, I could bring them back to life in no time. As they are now, I have to solder some wires directly on the RN2483 pins and then connect the programmer – a time-consuming endeavor.

Leave A Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.